Insurance, compensation and service injury

Insurance, compensation and service injury

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) provides a comprehensive range of schemes for its servicemen in the unfortunate event of service injuries or accidents.

MINDEF/SAF Group Insurance


As a full-time National Serviceman, you will receive $150,000 Group Term Life and $150,000 Group Personal Accident insurance coverage, that is paid for by MINDEF/SAF.

Read on to find out more.

Service injury

What is a service injury

An injury is considered to be a service injury if it fulfils any of the following criteria:

  • It was sustained in consequence of some act lawfully performed in the discharge of a service personnel’s duties. For example, an injury sustained during training.
  • It was sustained whilst on a journey necessary to enable the service personnel to report for duty or to return home after duty. For example, an injury sustained while travelling straight from home to camp or vice versa.

If you sustain an injury while in service and is determined that the injury is due to service, you will be accorded fully subsidised medical benefits at all restructured hospitals or polyclinics for the treatment of the injury for as long as you require the treatment. If hospitalised, you will be subsidised up to your eligible ward.

The following are not considered service injuries:

  • Injury sustained by a service personnel who was not performing an authorised task
  • Injury sustained where journey to and from home or the office was diverted for personal or non-official reason(s) or purpose(s)

What to do if you have sustained an injury while in service

If you have sustained an injury during your service, you must:

  1. Report immediately to your unit’s Medical Officer, and S1 or department Administrative Officer. This allows your unit or department to attend to your injury and document it in your medical docket.
  2. Submit an injury report indicating your personal particulars, date, time, and place of the incident and circumstances leading up to your injury.
  3. Liaise with your unit or department on the submission of the following to substantiate your injury:
  • Witness statements
  • Medical documents or reports
  • Training programmes
  • Traffic police report and map detailing the route taken (if the circumstances of your injury involve a traffic accident)

Your unit or department will submit the completed injury report and supporting documents to your Unit Commanding Officer or Head of Department for certification. They will then forward it to the SAF Human Resource Shared Services Centre (HRSSC) for processing.

Ward eligibility

Ward eligibility is dependent on your rank and vocation at the time of injury. You will however, be entitled to at least a Class B2 ward, if the injury sustained is due to service.

Rank Ward eligibility for service injury
All other restructured hospitals National University Hospital

Recruit to Lance Corporal

Class B2


Corporal to First Sergeant

Class B2


Officer Cadet to Lieutenant

Class B1


Should you choose to upgrade to a higher ward class, you will have to pay the full difference in the ward and meal charges between your eligible ward and the upgraded ward. For co-payment rates, please refer to the table below:

Ward class Your co-payment rate (%) Subsidy rate (%)
Your eligibility Admitted to

















Claim for compensation

Medical treatment for your service injury at restructured hospitals will be fully subsidised. If hospitalised, you will be subsidised up to your eligible ward. Should you request to be admitted to a class of ward higher than your eligible ward class, you will have to pay your medical bills in full and seek reimbursement later, based on your eligible ward. Only medical expenses incurred at restructured hospitals or polyclinics are reimbursable.

To be eligible for the fully subsidised medical benefits, you must:

  • Seek treatment for your injury at restructured hospitals at your eligible ward class
  • Be referred by a polyclinic or SAF Medical Officer without specifying any consultant by name

The first consultation fee with no referral, referral by a private doctor or referral to a named consultation will not be subsidised.

During MINDEF's processing

While MINDEF determines whether your injury is a service injury, you will have to bear all the medical cost first and seek reimbursement (based on your eligible ward) from MINDEF later.

In order to qualify for reimbursement, you will be required to submit the following:

  • Original medical bills and receipts
  • Medical co-payment slip
  • CPF statements (if deducted from Medisave or MediShield account)
  • Attending doctor’s memo certifying that the treatments and bills were incurred for the treatment of the service injury

After MINDEF’s processing

Once your injury has been approved as attributable to service, you will:

  • Be informed in writing by SAF HRSSC
  • Issued a Service Injury Card for fully subsidised medical benefits when seeking treatment for your service injury at restructured hospitals or polyclinics

Permanent disablement from service injury

Should you be assessed with a likelihood of suffering permanent disability for your service injury, your unit Medical Officer will monitor your medical condition periodically until the injury has stabilised. Once your medical condition has stabilised, an SAF Medical Board will be convened for permanent disability assessment. You will be eligible for a lump sum disability compensation. The quantum will vary according to the percentage of permanent disability endorsed by the SAF Medical Board.

Further enquiries

For more details, please approach your unit’s Manpower Officer, S1, Administrative Officer or Chief Clerk.