Taking leave

As a full-time National Serviceman, you are entitled to different types of leave.

Vacation leave

You are entitled to 14 days of vacation leave per year. Leave for service of less than a calendar year will be pro-rated according to the length of service. Any unconsumed leave will be forfeited at the end of the calendar year.

Medical leave

You may be granted medical leave if you have been issued a recognised Medical Certificate (MC) by a government doctor, unit Medical Officer (MO), Dental Officer, or private practitioner registered with the Singapore Medical Council or Singapore Dental Council. If you feel unwell during office hours, consult your unit MO. If you fall ill or sustain injuries after office hours, you are to inform your officer-in-charge, who will assist you to get immediate medical attention. MCs issued by Chinese physicians and spiritual healers will not be accepted.

To qualify for medical leave, you must:

  • Have an MC
  • Inform your supervisor and send him your MC if you are too ill to report for duty, or submit it immediately on reporting back for duty

Compassionate leave

You may be granted compassionate leave of up to three working days due to any of the following circumstances:

  • Dangerous or terminal illness of family members
  • Imminent death of family members
  • Death of spouse, children, parents, parents-in-law, siblings or grandparents
  • Serious domestic problems where your presence is essential to avoid domestic hardship